Inclement Weather Procedures
Forecasting the weather for school closures is not an easy task. South Kitsap School District officials put a lot of effort into preparing a decision when determining whether to keep schools on schedule, start late, or close schools due to inclement weather conditions. Each time a decision has to be made, many different interests and issues are taken into consideration; the primary decision factor, however, is student safety.
School district officials try to make the decision by no later than 5:30 a.m. Sometimes, conditions are stable enough that the district is able to make the announcement the night before. In such situations the SchoolMessenger calling system will be used to contact all families and staff at home.
Check our website, TV, radio for current information
The best means for finding out changes in the school schedule due to inclement weather is through television, radio, or websites like http://www.flashalert.net or the district website. You can register with Flash Alert for automatic email messages that are sent out as soon as the district posts its decision to the Public Emergency Communications System.
Should time changes become necessary to alter or cancel the school schedule, one of or a combination of the following announcements will be made over the radio, television stations and web sites between 5:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.
Limited Bus Routes are used primarily in the morning and not for afternoon student drop off.
Closure and Late Start Procedures
"No News is Good News!"
SKSD will report all school schedule changes to the local news media and post these changes to the home page of the district Web site. If no reports have been made, school will begin at regularly scheduled times.
Collaboration Late Start Wednesday
If SKSD reports a 2-hour late start schedule on a Collaboration Late Start Wednesday - Collaboration will be cancelled and 2-hour late start will operate on the normal non-Wednesday schedule.
“South Kitsap Schools will be closed for the day.”
- All activities at school buildings and trips are cancelled.
- All out of district transportation is cancelled.
- All school term (9 month) employees do not report to work. All other (10, 11 or 12 month) employees report pursuant to employee guidelines.
- Administrative offices are open.
“South Kitsap Schools will operate two (2) hours late.”
- Transportation will be on regular bus routes.
- No morning kindergarten.
- No elementary QUEST.
- No morning special education preschool.
- No morning headstart (ECEAP).
- No breakfast program.
- No midday transportation to school (parents will need to transport PM kindergarten and PM special education preschool).
- No Elementary Band
- Skill Center students will be picked up 2-hours late unless Bremerton School District is closed.
- On days snow routes are in use - we will use the same snow route stop locations on both the AM routes and the PM routes.
- Keeping safety as our 1st priority our buses will stay as close to printed schedules as possible. If a 2 hour delay is called, student pick-up bus time will be as close to a 2 hour delay from printed schedules as safely possible.
- On days involving inclement weather our dispatch phone lines are extremely busy. That phone line is designed to rotate from desk to desk until answered. Your patience is appreciated as we attempt to answer all calls in as timely manner as possible.
“South Kitsap Schools and Administrative/Support offices are closed.”
- All district functions and activities are cancelled.
- Other than emergency personnel required to report, all others do not report to work.
Staff Reporting Instructions for Emergency School Closures or Schedule Changes
Email Snow Day Alerts
Get snow day email alerts from the http://www.flashalert.net website about South Kitsap School District.
KOMO TV 4
KING TV 5
KIRO TV 7
KCPQ TV 13